The continent of Africa
Africa is the second-largest continent after Eurasia(Europe + Asia).
- For the time being, the population of accounts for 1.216 billion people. It is about 16% of the total Earth’s population;
- Africa uses time zones: UTC-1, UTC, UTC+1, UTC+2, UTC+3, UTC+4;
- Africa’s total area is 30,221,532 sq km;
- Africa consists of countries, including such large countries as Algeria, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Sudan and Libya.
- In addition to Africa, there are also 6 continents in the world: Antarctica, Asia, Europe, North America, Australia, South America.
Africa is known to be the hottest continent in the world, and the larger part of its land is occupied by deserts. The greatest desert of the planet – the Sahara – is located in the north of the continent. There is the Kalahari Desert in the south.
The continent of Africa is also famous for the world’s richest diamond fields (South Africa and Zimbabwe), and for the gold deposits (South Africa, Ghana, Mali, Republic of the Congo). Africa is rich in oil reserves as well (Nigeria and Algeria).